Lets see if I agree.
25. V, the mini-series. Wow pretty cheesy start. I remember watching the first few episodes, but then it kinda petered out towards the end.
24. Galaxy Quest. I liked this movie, but I wouldn't exactly put it in the sci-fi genre. I'd put it more in the comedy category.
23. Doctor Who (the series) Am I the only one who just doesn't get this show?
22. Quantum Leap. I guess it was, technically, sci-fi. I think of it more as a situational drama. I admit, I watched pretty much all the episodes.
21. Futurama. Awesome show. Met its end prematurely. Smartly written. Still watch the reruns when I can find them.
20. Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003-2005) Really? Did they just feel the need to throw something Star Wars on the list?
19. Starship Troopers. Not a bad choice. This movie shows that there is a fine line between good
sci-fi and cheese.
18. Heroes. I've been enthralled with this series from the first episode. Must be the whole cheerleader thing. Original concept - lets see if it picks up the pace in season 3.
17. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. This is Sci-Fi? I'll have to double-check imdb.
16. Total Recall. This is more like it. A no-doubt Sci-Fi classic.
15. Firefly/Serenity. Another series that was cancelled too soon I think. The movie was spectacular.
14. Children of Men. This was a decent flick. I wasn't as impressed as I'd hoped I would be.
13. Terminator/Terminator 2. Terminator is, of course, one of the all-time best sci-fi movies. Why is it way down here at 13?
12. Back to the Future. Pretty good movie. Good enough to spawn a couple sequels at least.
11. Lost. Good show, but its a bit out of genre I think. You know how I can tell if its true sci-fi? If my wife likes it - its not sci-fi. And my wife loves Lost, ergo...
10. The Thing (1982) Awesome movie. Amount my top movies of any genre. Love the premise.
9. Alien. Now we're talking. Hard-core sci-fi. Still love watching this movie.
8. Star Trek: the Next Generation. Meh. Its sci-fi all right. It just isn't good sci-fi is all.
7. E.T. Something for the kiddies, I get it. Some of these movies lightly sprinkle the science fiction in so that the masses will enjoy them. A typical Speilberg tactic. And then top it off with some sickly sweet syrup to make everyone go awwww.
6. Brazil. I've tried to like this movie on several occasions. I'm just not getting it though.
5. Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan. Well, if they had to put a Star Trek movie on the list, I'm glad they chose this one.
4. The X-Files (1993-2002) This is another one of those - my wife liked it, so it must not be sci-fi. Although some of the episodes were true sci-fi.
3. Blade Runner. Yay - another one of my all-time favorites. What truly made Harrison Ford my favorite (at least until his midlife crisis hit.)
2. Battlestar Galactica (2003) Number 2? Really? I like the premise, but the writing and acting turns me off.
1. The Matrix. Ok - very good movie. I watched it many times. As long as you don't lump in the sequels with this movie.
***
So, of course, I will fix this list.
I would not have put any series that airs on the Sci-Fi channel network anywhere near the list (Battlestar, Stargate, Babylon, etc.) They're just too formulaic for me. I don't think I'd put any Star Trek series on the list either. There are some movies that would be outside my top 25 - some that I liked when they first came out, but have not stood the test of time, and now I just think they're cheese - Tron, Independence Day, Armageddon, and the Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai. I wouldn't put any of the new Star Wars movies on the list. Unfairly or not, they just pale in comparison to the original trilogy.
I'm limiting my list to the top 20. My list is based more on if I were stranded on a desserted island with only some sort of solar-powered TV which 20 movies would I bring along that I could watch time after time without getting sick and tired of. Here it is.
20. X-Men
19. Jurassic Park
18. Men In Black
17. Galaxy Quest
16. the Abyss
15. Contact
14. the Fifth Element
13. I, Robot
12. Minority Report
11. Total Recall
10. Escape from New York (1981 I know - but I didn't see it until 1982 - honest)
9. The Matrix
7 & 8. Alien & Aliens
6. Serenity
5. Pitch Black
4. the Fly
3. Akira
2. The Thing
1. Blade Runner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment